Find Out What It Means to Be SPECIAL in Fallout 4
In the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout 4, seven attributes are very important to survival. At the start of the game, players will allocate 28 points to their character across seven stats: Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck. The choice of SPECIAL affects which perks can be chosen when levelling up. Additionally, each of these stats affect different aspects of the character’s skills, from hand-to-hand combat to damage reduction.
Bethesda has released a video for each attribute in the SPECIAL system. Done in the style of educational videos from the 1950s, these charmingly brutal and often hilarious cartoons explain exactly what you get from each SPECIAL attribute. Near the end of each video, jump cuts appear between what seem to be explanations of perks related to each SPECIAL skill. You can check out the videos below, or head over to Bethesda’s Youtube channel.
For those who don’t have time to watch the videos or simply just want to know the information, here is a short run down of how SPECIAL affects your character:
- Strength will increase how much your character can carry, hand-to-hand combat skill, and melee skill. The video suggests that strength perks will include the ability to craft protective gear and certain weapons
- Perception increases accuracy in VATS and the ability to sneak. It will make your character less noticeable while pick-pocketing and reverse pick-pocketing, and increase the lock picking ability. Hints are made that perception perks will involve how quickly enemies show up on the mini-map, your character’s explosives skill, and sniper rifles
- Endurance increases physical and radiation resistances as well as the amount of time your character can sprint. Food in the wasteland will likely restore HP, and a higher endurance skill means your character can eat a wider range of questionable things. It looks like some endurance perks will relate to holding breath under water, less broken limbs, and cannibalism
- Charisma will affect how much it will cost to buy items from merchants, as well as how much they will pay for your character’s wares. It will also increase the success rate of your character getting what they want through conversation as well as decrease the rate of addiction to alcohol and drugs. Charisma perks may affect how well Dogmeat and other companions get along with your character, and grant the ability to convince enemies to fight on your character’s behalf
- Intelligence increases the ability to hack computer terminals and create interesting weapons. The end of the video suggests that intelligence perks relate to fast travel or some other sort of travel, healing wounds, and creating stronger or longer lasting drugs
- Agility will increase the amount of AP points for use in VATS and sneaking ability or sneaking critical damage. Agility perks may include something related to killing people who are asleep and reload speed
- Luck increases critical rate or possibly critical damage, the amount of loot found in the wasteland, and seems to involve the return of the Mysterious Stranger from Fallout 3. The video suggests that luck perks will include the Bloody Mess perk and something related to chaining together kills
Fallout 4 is out November 10th for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.
Source: Bethesda – Youtube