Final Fantasy XV Day One Impressions (FINALLY!)
It’s not a dream, well, let’s hope not. Final Fantasy XV has finally released after a decade long wait (for some of us). Square Enix released Final Fantasy XV for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 consoles yesterday and it was worth the wait. Read ahead the pro’s and con’s to what could potentially be a contender for game of the year.
- Amazing cast of characters. I can see this cast of characters becoming one of the best if not the best in the series.
- Well-written. It’s funny when it tries to be funny and it’s dramatic when it needs to be. Probably the best game with banter between characters.
- Fast-paced AND FUN gameplay.
- This might be one of the best looking games I’ve ever played.
- The game’s composer did an outstanding job fixing what Final Fantasy XIII ruined.
- The game is huge. It is easy to lose yourself only doing side quests and monster hunting. You’ll keep telling yourself “one more mission”.
- Engaging story that will make you want to speed through it to see what happens next.
- Different types of gameplay mechanics for those who rather fight using long range weapons over melee.
- Customization options for the car.
- Car trips. You take minutes off to unwind and listen to characters talk to one another. Listening to old FF tunes. Sometimes you even get to fast travel.
- Sometimes I felt like the open areas are a little too open.
- Car trips. Sometimes you don’t get fast travel and can be stuck for minutes doing absolutely nothing.
- Prompto once got stuck to a mountain after I used Blizzard.
and the Ugly
- One of the times that I used fast travel Noctis was stuck to the ground taking away full control of him from me. I could only pause to load a previous save file. Luckily the game auto-saves frequently or else I would have lost about three hours of my playthrough.
Should you buy it?
The game begins with the prompt “A FINAL FANTASY for Fans and First-Timers” and Square Enix means it. This game should be experienced by everyone, even if you rather play an action game like God of War over a RPG. This game is FUN. The combat works amazingly well and the story is just as good. When I’m not playing it I’m thinking of it. It’s one of those games that will stick with you for a long time. Having seen the original trailer back in E3 2006 when it was originally called Final Fantasy Versus XIII I feared for the worst due to a long development cycle, but I can gladly say this could potentially be my game of the year and I played a ton of 2016 games. Get in your car and buy it immediately. Support the hard work that Square Enix clearly put and show them that we want more GOOD games from them.